As car owners, we try to avoid violating traffic rules. However, there are some instances where we unintentionally (or intentionally) violate the rules and are penalized with an e-challan. With digitalization, checking the status of your e-challan as well as paying it has been made easier, allowing you to keep a clear record for your car, especially if you are selling your car. There are multiple ways you can check your traffic challan status online, providing a convenient way to check and pay e-challan online without disrupting your day.
Table of Contents
- What is an E-Challan?
- How to Make A Payment On Your E-Challan
- Traffic Violations With E-Challan Penalties
- FAQs on How to Check E Challan Status
What is an E-Challan?
An e-Challan is a machine-generated receipt that cites the traffic violation and the amount of traffic fine to be paid. The e-challan is issued on-spot, and the traffic police server automatically gets updated with the real-time entry.
According to Government of India’s ‘New Motor Vehicle Amendment Act, 2019’, the system of e-challan has been introduced that applies stringent rules on violators of traffic rules and regulations, thus safeguarding the pedestrians and other commuters on the road
An E-Challan can be issued to a traffic violator for disregarding parking rules and regulations. But at times, we often miss a signal and may not be able to get the challan directly from the traffic police. In that case one can check the e-challan status online and pay the traffic fine.
How To Check E-Challan Status
- Step 1: Visit the page of e-challan.parivhan.gov.in
- Step 2: Click on the ‘Online Services’ option
- Step 3: Select ‘Check Challan Status’
- Step 4: Give Challan Details by entering either the DL number or Challan number or Vehicle number
- If giving Challan number: Click on ‘Challan Number’ option. Enter the captcha number as shown and click on ‘Get Detail’
- If giving Vehicle number: Click on ‘Vehicle Number’ option. Enter the ‘Vehicle Number’ , ‘Chassis Number or Engine Number’ and enter the ‘Captcha Number’. Next click on ‘Get Detail’
- If giving DL Number: Click on ‘DL Number’ option. Enter the DL Number and the Captcha Number’. Next click on ‘Get Detail’
- Step 5: After enter the relevant details a window will open showing whether a challan has been issued or not
How to Make A Payment On Your E-Challan
To pay traffic challan online either one can make the payment through the Parivahan website or other portals like the Paytm Mobile App or Paytm Website or State Traffic Police Website. Read on to find the simple steps to pay e challan online.
How to Pay Your E Challan Online
On Parivahan Website
- Step 1: Go to the Parivahan website or e-Challan website page
- Step 2: Click on ‘Online Services’ on the left-hand top of the page
- Step 3: Click on the ‘Check Challan Status’ from the drop-down
- Step 4: Next, enter the ‘Challan Number’ or ‘Vehicle Number’ or ‘Driver License Number’, enter the captcha shown and click on ‘Get Details’
- Step 5: Check the Status and click on the ‘Pay Now’ button
- Step 6: Select the mode of payment and pay the penalty amount
- Step 7: Once the payment is done, the user will receive a transaction ID
The online payment portal of Paytm can be used to pay e-Challan fines if that facility is available for your respective state or city.
Using Paytm Mobile App
- Step 1: Click on the Paytm mobile app on the phone
- Step 2: Scroll down to the ‘Recharge and Bill Payment’ option
- Step 3: Click on ‘View More Option’
- Step 4: Scroll Down and Find the option ‘Transit’
- Step 5: Select the option ‘Challan’ and Click
- Step 6: Under the option, ‘Traffic Authority’ enter the name of the city or select the option for the State Traffic Police
- Step 7: Enter the Vehicle Number and Click ‘Proceed’
- Step 8: Check the ‘Status of Challan’
- Step 9: Click on ‘Proceed’ to check the fine amount
- Step 10: Choose the preferred mode of payment and pay
- Step 10: Once the transaction gets complete, a notification message comes on the registered mobile number and email id.
Using Paytm Website
- Step 1: Click on the ‘Sign In’ option on the top right side of the Paytm Website page
- Step 2: To login into your Paytm Web account – Open Paytm App, tap the scan option at the bottom and point the Paytm Scan at the QR code shown on the Webpage.
- Step 3: Click on ‘Payment For Consumers’
- Step 4: Click on ‘Payments’
- Step 5: Click on ‘Bill Payments and Recharges’
- Step 6: Scroll down and click on ‘Traffic Challan’
- Step 7: Click on option ‘Bangalore Traffic Police’
- Step 8: Enter the ‘Vehicle Number’ and click ‘Proceed’
- Step 9: Check the ‘Challan Status’ and select the mode of payment and pay the traffic e-Challan
- Step 10: Once payment is done, a message gets generated to the registered mobile number
One can also visit the respective State Transport Website or State Traffic Police Website to check e-challan status and pay online the e-challan fine.
How to Pay Your E Challan Offline
To pay e-challan offline, one can visit the nearest traffic police station in their respective city. Keep the traffic violation letter when visiting the traffic police station or take a print out of the e-challan detail from the online portal.
Traffic Violations With E-Challan Penalties
General Traffic Rules Violated
|Driving Under Intoxication||First Time: Rs. 10000 and/or 6 months in prisonSecond Time: Rs. 15000 and/or 2 yearsin prison|
Overloading Pillion Riders
|Rs. 2000 fine + disqualification of licence and/or community service for 3 months|
|Over Speeding Vehicle||Rs. 1000 for LMV, Rs. 2000 for MMV|
|Driving Dangerously||Rs. 1000 – Rs. 5000, seizure of licence, and/or 6 months -1 year in prison|
Driving Without Licence
Rs. 5000 and/or community service
|Driving Without Valid Insurance||First Time: Rs. 2000 and/or 3 months in prison, community serviceSecond Time: Rs. 4000|
|Signal Jumping||Rs. 1000 – Rs. 5000, licence seizure, and/or 6 months – 1 year in prison|
|Two-Wheeler Rider Without Helmet||Rs. 1000 + licence scrapping for 3 months|
|Riding Without Permit||Up to Rs. 10000|
|Juvenile Offences||Rs. 25000 with 3 years of imprisonment, registration of vehicle to be cancelled and procurement of driving license not before the age of 25 years of age|
|Driving Without A Valid Driving Licence||Rs. 5000 and/or community service|
|Unauthorised Driving Of A Vehicle||Rs. 5000 and/or community service|
|Not Carrying Necessary Documents Specified In The Motor Vehicle Act While Driving||Rs. 500|
|Travelling Without Ticket||Rs. 500|
|Driving Despite Disqualification||Rs. 10000|
|Violating Licensing Conditions||Rs. 25000 to Rs. 1 lakh|
Driving Without Valid Vehicle Fitness Certificate.
Rs. 2000 – Rs. 5000
|Driving Vehicle Without Registration Certificate||Rs. 2000|
Rules Of Road Regulation Violation
|Driving Below 18 Years Of Age||Rs. 25000 with 3 years of imprisonment of guardian or owner|
|Not Obeying Orders Of The Authorities||Rs. 2000|
|Oversized Vehicles||Rs. 5000 – Rs. 10000 and/or community service|
|Driving Without Fastening The Seat Belts||Rs. 1000|
|Negligent Driving||Rs. 1000|
|Racing Vehicle On Public Roads||Rs. 5000|
Not Making Way For Emergency Vehicles
Stopping At Pedestrian From Crossing Or Crossing A Zebra Cross
|Violating The Yellow Line||Rs. 100|
|Displaying ‘Applied For’ In Driving License Plate||Rs. 4500|
|Improper Use Of Headlights And/ Or Tail Light While Driving||Rs. 100|
|OverSpeeding||Up to Rs. 1000|
|Driving under influence of Alcohol and/ or Drugs||Rs. 10000|
|Use Of Mobile Phone While Driving||Rs. 1000|
|Use Of Horn In Silence Zone||Rs. 100|
|Driving Without Valid Number Plate||Rs. 100|
|using Obstruction To Other Vehicles And People||Rs. 100|
|Parking In ‘No Parking’ Zone||Rs. 100|
|Parking on any Pedestrian Crossing||Rs. 100|
|Parking The Vehicle On Walkways||Rs. 100|
FAQs on How to Check E Challan Status
What happens if I don’t pay e-challan?
If one fails to pay traffic challan fine then a traffic police officer will visit the violator’s address to collect the fine. If the e-Challan fine is not paid then the offender will be summoned to the court. And still if the offender does not visit the court, then his /her license will be suspended.
What is the reason for issuing e-challans?
An e-Challan can be given by the traffic police for violations of traffic rules such as failure to maintain road marks, rash driving on road, violating the traffic signal, incorrect presentation of the number plate, not using a seat belt, for not carrying the necessary documents etc.
From the time the challan is issued in my name, how many days do I have to make the payment?
Within 60 days an e-Challan has to be paid from the date of issue. Failure to pay the e-Challan will lead to the matter being taken to the court.
Where can I check issued e-challan online?
Visit e-challan.parivhan.gov.in and click on ‘Online Services’ option. Select ‘Check Challan Status’ from the dropdown menu. A new page will appear. Enter the Challan details like the DL Number or the Challan Number or the ‘Vehicle Number’. Enter the Captcha code and click on ‘Get Detail’. The page will display the e-challan information.