The permanent driving license is a mandatory document which is required to own and operate any vehicle. Failure to produce a permanent driving license during a traffic stop can result in heavy fines or imprisonment. If you have just turned 18 and are looking into applying for a driving license in the state of Karnataka, this blog is for you. As it is understandable that there might be a few doubts arising in your mind, or you might be confused as to what documents are required, we have compiled all the necessary information on how to apply for driving license online in Karnataka.
What are the types of driving licenses in Karnataka
There are two major types of licenses that are available:
- Learning license: The Learning License is for newcomers, that is, people that haven’t operated any vehicle or youngsters who have just turned 18. The primary objective of the learning license is to permit the above people to drive their vehicles of choice on public roads, albeit under the supervision of a permanent license holder. This license is to be held necessarily for a month, imperative of how experienced one is.
- Driving License: The Driving License is also called a Permanent License, which as the name suggests, has a long validity. Once you have held the learning license for at least a month, then only are you eligible to apply for a driving or permanent license test. Make sure to apply for the permanent license test before it has been 6 months since the issue of the learning license. Failing to do so will result in re-attempting the learning license test. Also note that the permanent or driving license is valid for either 18 years or 21 years from the date of issuing the license.
You can apply for a learning license and driving or permanent license for individual categories of vehicles. Some of the common types are:
- Motorcycle Without Gear (MCWOG) – The MCWOG license permits the holder usage of two wheelers such as; scooters, mopeds, and other two wheelers without gears.
- Motorcycle With Gear (MCWG) – Holders of the MCWG license are permitted to drive motorcycles with gears,along with all the vehicles that come under the MCWOG license.
- Light Motor Vehicle (LMV) – The Light Motor Vehicle category encompasses all the four wheelers that are used for personal transport. Any car, Jeeps, and SUV are included in this. There’s a slightly different license called LMV – TR which is used by cab drivers.
- Light Goods Vehicle (LGV) – The LGV license allows its holder to operate commercial vehicles with a gross weight of or under 3500 kg. Mostly the vehicles that satisfy the above condition are pick up trucks such as Tata Ace, Tata Yodha, or Isuzu D Max.
- Medium Goods Vehicle (MGV) – A Medium Goods Vehicle is one that can carry loads from 3.5 tonnes to 12 tonnes. As a result, the vehicles that come in this category are trucks.
- Medium Passenger Vehicles (MPV) – Any private or public sector vehicle, or buses for an educational institute fall under the category of Medium Passenger Vehicles. LMVs, MCWOG, and MCWG are not included.
- Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) – Vehicles that can carry loads above those from a Medium Goods Vehicle are categorized in Heavy Goods Vehicle.
- Heavy Passenger Vehicle (HPV) – Tourist buses and Commercial buses fall under the Heavy Passenger Vehicle category.
There are 3 other documents you can apply for which are important for certain conditions:
- Invalid Carriage License – The Invalid Carriage License is required by people who have disabilities and require specialized vehicles or need to carry out special modifications to their current vehicles to properly operate them.
- Transport Vehicle License – Light Motor Vehicles or Medium Passenger Vehicles that are to be used for transport purposes need someone with a transport vehicle license to operate them.
- International Driving Permit (IDP) – Any citizen of India looking to drive abroad needs to apply for an International Driving Permit. This permit is meant to be used alongside a valid Indian driving license and can’t be a standalone document.
How to apply for a driving license online in Karnataka?
Before the advent of technology, the process for applying for any license was completely physical. Nowadays, all you need to do is to visit the Karnataka Transport Department’s website and access the driving license application portal. There are a few steps to follow after this, all of which are mentioned below:
- Eligibility Requirements: The sole mandatory requirement for eligibility is that you must be at least 18 years old for you to apply for a license. You must be at least 20 years old in order to operate a commercial transport vehicle.
- For New Drivers – As a crucial need for obtaining a permanent driving license, new drivers must maintain a learning license for a minimum of one month.
- Launching the online application: Select the “Apply Online” tab and choose the option for a new driving license after visiting the driving license portal.
- Application form: Fill out the application form by providing the necessary information. Include personal documentation with this, such as proof of identity, proof of address, passport-sized pictures, and other documents.
- Slot Booking: After completing the information and submitting the required documents, choose a day, time, and day that work best for you. Then, choose from the available slots.
- Fee Payment: Proceed to pay the required fees following the completion of the previously mentioned steps.
- Document Upload: Do not forget to upload all required documents as mentioned earlier.
- Attend the test: Make sure you arrive at the test place on the scheduled day.
- Pass the test: Ensure that you receive a passing score on the practical examination. Sadly, you will have to go through every step one again if you don’t succeed.
- Get your license – Don’t forget to get your license after passing the exam. The license will be mailed by speed post to the address you provided in the application form.
What is the eligibility to apply for a driving license online in Karnataka?
Being the age of 18 is the most important criteria for applying for any driving license. In the case of operating commercial transport vehicles, you should be 20 years old. Other than age, you should have a vision of at least 20/40 in one eye and 20/60 in the other eye, with or without glasses.
What are the documents required to apply for a driving license online in Karnataka?
There are quite a few documents that are required:
- Proof of age – Birth certificate, school leaving certificate, passport, PAN card, Aadhar card, or your Voter ID card.
- Proof of address – Common documents like passport, Aadhar card, Voter ID card which are also counted as proof of address. Make sure to produce two different documents for the proof of age and proof of address. Documents such as utility bills (electricity, water, gas, etc.) in your name, ration card, or a rental agreement can also be shown.
- Forms issued by the government –
- Form 1 – This is if you are below the age of 50 years
- Form 1 A – If you are over the age of 50 years
- Form 2 – Also called the Learner’s License application
- Form 3 – Learner’s License form
- Learner’s License
- Passport size photos
- Training certificate – For vehicles that may require special training and proof of the training.
What is the fee structure for driving license in Karnataka
|Fees for issuing Learner’s License (for each category)
|Fees for Learner’s Licence Test
|Fees for Driving Licence Test (For each category)
|Driving License in Form 7 (ie. smart card)
|Issue of Driving License
|Learner’s License Fail fee
After expiry of Learner’s License
|Learner’s License test fee
|Fees for issuing Learner’s License (for each category)
|Driving License Fail fee (for each category)
What is the process to get a permanent driving license online in Karnataka
Clear up the prerequisites and apply for a permanent license. Follow the steps if you have all the necessary documents:
- Go to the official Karnataka Transport Department website
- Select the “Apply for license” option
- Fill the application form
- Select the test slot according to your convenience
- Pay the corresponding fee
- Appear for the practical test
- Pass the test
- Receive your license
FAQs about how to apply for driving license online in Karnataka
Can I apply for a driving license online in Karnataka?
Yes, you can apply for any license online in the state of Karnataka
How to apply for a driving license after learner license in Karnataka?
Visit the Driving license tab in the website and click on “New license”
What are the fees for obtaining a driving license in Karnataka?
The fees for obtaining a driving license are roughly INR 700(including Learner's license).
What documents are required to apply for a driving license in Karnataka?
Birth certificate, school leaving certificate, passport, PAN card, Aadhar card, and Voter ID card, are some of the required documents.
How much time does it take to get a driving license online in Karnataka?
After the driving test date, it may take up to 30 days to receive a driving licence.
What are the rules for LLR in Karnataka?
You can operate vehicles under the supervision of a holder of a Driving license.
How long is a Learning License valid in Karnataka?
A learning license is valid for up to 6 months in Karnataka.