Getting a fancy number plate is an expression of individuality that makes you stand out amongst the rest. While anyone can get a special number plate, it does come at a very high price. VIP number plates are available through an e-auction held by the RTO, which gives you the opportunity to bid for the number plate you desire. If your bid wins, you get a receipt and the number plate is yours.
So, if you’ve seen fancy cars with fancy number plates and you want one for yourself as well, you’ve come to the right place. Let’s take a deeper look at how to get fancy car numbers or a VIP number for your car.
Table of Contents
- What are Fancy Number Plates?
- How to get Fancy Number Plates for Cars?
- Fees for VIP Number Plates
- List of VIP Number Plates and their Prices Based on Category
- Special VIP Number Plates
- FAQ’s about Fancy Number Plates
What are Fancy Number Plates?
Fancy number plates are nothing but a specific set of numbers in the serial order that are deemed special. These are not specially manufactured but rather are a part of the number series for eg. 0001, 0100, 1111, 4444, 0786 etc. So, when such a series comes up the RTO auctions it, and due to personal reasons, people are ready to shell out huge amounts of money for them. The main reason behind auctioning these kind of number plates is to raise funds which are then used for road and traffic-related developments
How to get Fancy Number Plates for Cars?
The process of getting a fancy number plate used to be cumbersome. However, today you could apply for it online without hassles. Here is how you do it:
- Step 1: Register online on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway (MoRTH) as a Public User.
- Step 2: Sign up and log in to your account
- Step 3: Select the desired fancy number
- Step 4: Pay the required fees for registration and reserve the number.
- Step 5: Bid for your choice of fancy car number.
- Step 6: Once the results are declared, you can pay the balance or collect the refund accordingly.
- Step 7: Print the allotment letter for reference.
Now that you know how to get fancy numbers for your car, it’s important that you get a High Security Registration Plate (HSRP) for your vehicle. It is mandatory even if you have a fancy number.
Fees for VIP Number Plates
As mentioned there is an auction and in that auction there is a minimum bidding amount known as fees. Each state has different prices for bidding. Take a look at the bidding prices in Delhi for fancy numbers.
Four Wheeled Vehicle
Mode of Allotment
Rs. 5 Lakhs
0002 to 0009
Rs. 3 Lakhs
0010 to 0099
0786, 1000, 1111, 7777 and 9999
Rs. 2 Lakhs
0100, 0111, 0200, 0222
Rs. 1.5 Lakhs
Any other registration mark which is not mentioned in category no. 01 to 04 is sought by a person as a registration mark of choice by jumping the chronological order of numbers in a series of registration marks.
The allotment shall be made on payment of additional fee online on First Come First Serve basis
Retention of existing Registration mark on purchase of new non- transport Four Wheeled vehicle
10% of the minimum Reserved Price of the category of the number to be retained or Rs. 25,000/- whichever is higher.
The retention shall be allowed on payment of additional fee as applicable.
- Registration fee of Rs.1000 for e-auction is non refundable.
- A previously registered number can be retained, only if the registration mark has been in the name of the applicant for a minimum period of three years, as on the date of application for retention.
- There is a minimum reserve price for category 1, 2,3 ,4 and an additional fee for category no. 5 and 6
List of VIP Number Plates and their Prices Based on Category
Example of Numbers
Rs. 5 lakh
0003, 0005, 0009, and so on
Rs. 3 lakh
0100, 0666, 4444, 8000, etc.
Rs. 1 lakh
0786, numbers from 0010 to 0099, and many others
Rs. 2 lakh
Special VIP Number Plates
The different kinds of car Fancy number plates are as follows:
- A red colored plate with the national emblem on it is used by President of India, Governors and State Governments
- Number plate with upward-pointing arrow is permitted to be only used by Military/Army officials
- Vehicle of Diplomats can be distinguished by a blue number plate with numbers written in white, which indicates that it belongs to a foreign embassy.
FAQ’s about Fancy Number Plates
Q. How do I get a fancy number plate for my car?
A. With the launch of e-auction, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has simplified the procedure of selecting a Fancy number registration for automobiles. You can register, choose from a variety of Fancy numbers up for auction, and acquire the Fancy car number of your choice.
Here’s a step to step process for bidding
- First, start by registering as a public user at the official Ministry of Road Transport and Highway (MoRTH) website.
- Pick your preferred fancy vehicle number.
- Fees payment for account registration and for booking the fancy number.
- Place an official bid on your chosen number.
- Pay the balance outstanding if you acquire the desired plate or collect your dues if not.
- Print the allotment letter after you have acquired the desired plate.
Q. What is the eligibility criteria for acquiring Fancy number plates?
A. There are no specific eligibility conditions, but you should bear the accompanying costs, advance payments, and other monetary liabilities, depending on the category of the number you choose.
Q. How long does it take to get fancy number plates in India?
A. The registration process can last for up to three days. After these initial three days, the next two days are assigned for the actual bidding process.
Therefore, the entire process of online registration and bidding takes around 5 days to complete.
Q. How to check availability of fancy number plates online?
A. Below are the steps to check the availability of Fancy vehicle numbers:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Step 2: At the bottom right of the page, choose ‘Choice Number’.
- Step 3: You’ll be redirected to a new page. Here you need to select the state and the RTO name.
- Step 4: The new page will reveal the list of fancy car numbers that you can choose from.
Q. What is the processing time for getting a fancy number plate?
A. It takes approx 5 days from the time you register to complete the process of bidding for a fancy vehicle number. The bidding procedure begins on the 4th day after you register on the website and continues until the 5th day. After receiving the allotment letter, the user has 90 days to register the car with the respective RTO.