SUV off-roaders are purpose-built machines designed to take you off the beaten path. But what if you want to go off the path a bit faster? This is the very specific need that Ford wants to fulfil by bringing the Ford Ranger Raptor to India.
What is the Ford Ranger Raptor?
At first glance, the Ford Ranger Raptor looks like a 4×4 utility pickup like the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross. Appearances, however, are where the similarities end. Instead of a 4×4 utility pickup truck, the Ranger Raptor is designed to go fast while going anywhere.
The Ford Ranger Raptor derives its DNA from the Baja race-trucks that are expected to survive punishing roads at speeds much higher than any standard SUV. To be able to take this punishment, this SUV has a stronger ladder frame chassis and specialised suspension to allow this 4×4 SUV to conquer any terrain at speed.
Ford Ranger Raptor Specifications
- A very powerful 2.0-litre twin turbo diesel engine producing 213 hp and 500 Nm.
- All-terrain conquering 283mm ground clearance, 800mm water-wading depth, and 285mm tyres.
- Four-wheel drive system with Terrain Management System to adapt to any terrain.
- 10-speed automatic gearbox for smooth power delivery.
- ESP-controlled rollover mitigation
What is the price of the Ford Ranger Raptor?
Unlike the Ford Endeavour that is built in India, Ford will be importing 2500 units under the homologation free import rules. As these will be imports, the expected price for the Ford Ranger Raptor will be above ₹70 lakhs. With no competitors, this 4×4 SUV is definitely for a select few who have a very specific off-road need for speed.