You must grab every opportunity available to travel, and explore new places as it helps you inculcate new skills, puts self-improvement on the forefront, and strengthens your emotional well-being.
Every once in a while, you need to let your inner explorer out, rejuvenate and get away from the bustling urban revelries. Monsoons can be quite a killjoy with congested, and waterlogged roads. Monsoons are also referred to as the season of romance, exemplified by the portrayal of numerous love songs in Bollywood- long drives, dancing in the rain and all of the rainy day shenanigans. To escape the monsoon madness and extreme temperatures, you can plan weekend getaways– all you need is your car, clothes, and loved ones
Here’s a list of weekend getaways to satiate the wanderlust in you!
1) Jaipur, Rajasthan
In all its grandeur and beauty, often called the “Pink City”, Jaipur is the ideal destination for a weekend getaway. With a hoard of magnificent palaces, beautiful forts and heritage museums- it is art in its finest form. Treat your tastebuds with the traditional Rajasthani Thaali and mouth-watering desserts. Visit Jaipur for a Royal experience, go back time and relive the resplendent life! Drive away on the smooth Jaipur Express Highway and leave your worries behind.
Distance from Delhi: 268 kms
Best time to visit: July-August, if you visit around this time you’ll witness Jaipur in all its glory with natural hues, and can fetch great deals on hotel bookings.
Attractions & Activities: For a purely majestic experience, make sure you visit –
- Amber Fort: Built by Raja Man Singh, it was home to the Royal families for generations. The fort is surrounded by forested hills and overlooks the beautiful Maota Lake, with Sheesh Mahal (Glass Palace) in its interiors, which is an exhibit of marvelous architecture.
- Nahargarh Fort: Atop the Aravalli Hills, Nahargarh Fort overlooks the beautiful Pink City, the view is breathtakingly beautiful.
- Hawa Mahal : literally translated as the “Palace of Winds”, a unique pyramidal monument resembling a honeycomb which possesses 935 windows with an amazing array of intricate designs is what makes it special and worth visiting.
- Jantar Mantar: Situated near the famous Hawa Mahal, it boasts of the largest sundial in the world. It features numerous classical celestial coordinate systems.
- Albert Hall Museum: For all the history enthusiasts, this is the place to be in! The archives possess a rich collection of paintings, and various other articles used during the Rajput rule.
2) Kangojodi, Himachal Pradesh
Situated in Sirmour district (Nahan), Kangojodi- is truly a wonderful place away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It is surrounded by evergreen trees and overlooking a picturesque view. Imagine spending quality time right in nature’s lap! Leave all your worries behind, breathe in the fresh air and feel on top of the world at this quaint mountain valley known for its camping and adventure activities.
Distance from Delhi : 275 kms
Best time to visit: July-August, the weather in Kangojodi is pleasant throughout the year and you can expect drizzle and misty weather during monsoons which is oh so joyous unlike the unruly weather in Delhi!
Attractions & Activities:
- Natural Water Spring: Revitalise yourself and feel alive!
- Camping & Bonfire: the entire experience of camping is unmatchable, because you learn new skills, discover your hidden potential.
- It is a unique experience- provides you refreshing change, a technological detox, away from the concrete jungle and hectic schedule.
- Adventure Sports: River crossing, scaling mountains, trekking all the way,rappelling, flying fox, rock climbing- Go ahead and unleash the adventurer in you!
- Nahan: explore the nearby lakes and temples
3) Manesar, Haryana
A township near Gurgaon, although it is known for its rapid industrial growth- it is calm, serene and perfect for a weekend getaway and an absolute delight for anyone looking for someplace away from the mayhem yet close to home- it’s a perfect combination. A paradise for nature lovers and shutterbugs- really brings out the best in you.
Distance from Delhi: 45 Kms
Best time to visit: July-February. It is generally hot but during monsoons the weather takes a beautiful turn, making this an ideal spot for spending time with family, friends and loved ones!
Attraction & Activities:
- Adventure Sports: Fun activities like Zorbing, paint ball, bungee jumping, rock climbing, rappelling along with aero sports ranging from hot air ballooning to parasailing, make it an amazing experience.
- Damdama Lake: Ideal for boating, the lake is placid and a treat for those who want a break from their hectic schedule.
- Bird-watching: Tranquil surroundings, made for nature lovers.
- Photography: Witness natural beauty and showcase your photography skills.
- Natural Sulphur Spring: located in the Shiv Temple in Sohna, known to have medicinal properties which apparently cure allergies, rashes and rheumatic pains.
4) Agra, Uttar Pradesh
Home to one of the Seven Wonders of the World, Agra is flocked by tourists throughout the year. However, during monsoons there is a significant drop in the number of tourists therefore making it an ideal time for anyone looking for a weekend getaway. Visiting the monument of love- Taj Mahal, can be a massive downer during summers because of the scorching heat, so there’s another plus side! Cloudy skies and cool breeze make up for an extremely romantic setting.
Distance from Delhi: 226 kms
Best time to visit: April-October. Pleasant weather,unwind and breathe easy and gaze at the marvellous Mughal architecture
Attractions & Activities:
- Itmad-ud- Daulah’s Tomb: referred to as “Baby Taj” and also called the “Jewel Box” is known for its exquisite architecture.
- Agra Fort: Historical monument, a beautiful remnant of the Mughal architecture.
- Tanga Rides: The horse driven carriages will surely take you back in time-sit back, relax and feel transported to the Victorian Era!
- Fatehpur Sikri: A historical site, built under Akbar’s rule – it is said to have a tunnel leading straight to Lahore, Pakistan. Many people make a wish at the Mosque inside the complex and it is said to come true.
- Sur Sarovar Sanctuary: A hidden gem in Agra, the sanctuary is home to dancing bears, different species of birds and other wild animals. A perfect getaway for animal and nature lovers.
5) Bhimtal, Uttarakhand
A beautiful town nestled in the Kumaon Hills, it is an idyllic destination for people looking a tranquil weekend getaway. Just 22 kms from Nainital- a popular tourist location, it is quieter and calmer. Bhimtal is known for its lakes and water activities which attract people from far and wide. You can’t help but fall in love with the picturesque surroundings, misty mountains and the pleasant weather which is blissful.
Distance from Delhi: 295 kms
Best time to Visit: March-September. Although the roads might get slightly slippery- it’s worth a visit for its mind-blowing weather and alluring atmosphere!
Attraction & Activities:
- Bhimtal Lake: It offers a splendid view, paddle away all your sorrows by boating across the lake. Along with boating you can also try zorbing, paragliding and other fun activities.
- Butterfly Research Centre: This Aurelian paradise is worth a visit!
- Bhimtal Aquarium: Initially it was a restaurant but was shut down due to the pollution it caused and was replaced by the Aquarium which is home to fish from all across the world.
- Victoria Dam: considered to be one of the best locations in Bhimtal.
- Karkotaka Temple: Trek all the way up and cleanse your mind, body and soul.
- Lok Sangrah, Folk Cultural Museum: A place for people who appreciate art and craft.
- Hidimba Parvat: A major tourist attraction, strongly recommended for people who can walk for miles! Feel mesmerized by the scenic beauty. This hill is named after the demon wife of Bheema- the mythological character from the Hindu sacred text, Mahabharata.
Monsoons are that time of the year when you would rather cuddle up and watch a movie marathon, but a little adventure is always a good idea! Go ahead pack your backpacks and set out on a road trip this monsoon and fall in love all over again! Go shopping, indulge in rich, traditional food and romance the vibrant colours in Jaipur, or trek all the way and get set for adventure sports in Kangojodi! Paraglide all your tensions away in Bhimtal or witness the beauty of Taj in Agra! Set out on a journey of a lifetime in your sweet ride, as you explore Incredible India- come what may don’t keep the wanderlust in you waiting!
Loved the article? We bet you’ll love these too!